Al Reyes Hit Hard In Thursday Night Appearance

Tampa Bay Rays setup man Al Reyes celebrated his 38th birthday in style Thursday night, getting wasted and causing several disturbances at Tampa’s Hyde Park Cafe.

According to a St. Petersburg Times report, Reyes became angry with another bar patron when the pitcher staggered into a ceramic pot inside the bar. Reyes contended that the other patron, identified as Eduardo Mora, had shoved him into the pot, and called him out on his chicanery.

Mora, surely unaware that it was Reyes’ birthday, responded by punching the burly right-hander in his 38-year-old face. And that’s where the real fun began.

Mora then punched Reyes in the face, getting the attention of the Hyde Park Cafe’s bouncers. Meanwhile, police said in a news release, Reyes “began to spit blood on the people in the area and began to swing his arms about.”

The bouncers tried to control Reyes, but the 6 foot 1, 230-pound right-hander kept pushing them away. A Tampa Police officer working extra duty at the bar tried to calm the fracas, but Reyes “continued spitting blood and thrashing about,” Tampa Police Lt. William Ferguson wrote in the release.

I think Tampa Police Lieutenant William Ferguson missed his calling as a creative writer. (Ironically, some might argue that I missed my calling as a police officer by trying to make a career of writing.) “Spitting blood and thrashing about,” to me, is the best description of anything to ever happen, ever.

Lt. Ferguson apparently disagreed.

Moments later, the officer Tased Reyes, knocking him to the bar floor.

“Sometimes I wish I’d never been born, 38 years ago today!” Reyes noted while writhing in pain, claim some onlookers.

Still, perseverance has always been a trait associated with the Tommy John Surgery survivor, and he eventually regained his bearings, pulled himself off the ground and began to approach the police, presumably to apologize for conduct unbecoming of a 38-year-old.

Ignoring police commands to stay down, authorities said Reyes got up and was Tased a second time.

Apparently Reyes wasn’t the only perseverant one.

Reyes eventually calmed down and was treated for a cut to his nose, police said. He refused to be transported to a hospital.

Reyes was charged with affray; Mora was charged with battery. Both were released on their own recognizance.

All in all, it was still the best birthday ever!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: